Saturday School Program begins in January
Desert Edge High School will be implementing a Saturday School Program. It is an intervention/prevention program designed to provide restorative justice as an alternative to punitive discipline for bad choices. The program will hold offenders accountable while providing educational services that promote long term positive behaviors. Students will complete curriculum on the following topics: Vaping, School and Community Pride, Boundaries, Sexting, School Threats, Bullying, Cyber Bullying, Anger Management, and Community Service. Community Service is a requirement that will be completed within the program.
- Saturday School will be held bi-weekly at Desert Edge High School in partnership with Teen Court from 7:30AM to 11:30AM.
- Late arrivals will be denied class entry.
- Students are required to attend class the entire time on the date assigned.
- Rescheduling is not permitted.
- Students must fulfill all requirements of the program in good standing or will be dismissed from class and a FAILURE TO COMPLETE will be issued.
- Students who do not attend their assigned Saturday School or receive a Failure to Complete will receive a 5-day Out of School Suspension.
Remember the intent of Saturday School is to avoid Out-of-School Suspension, prevent loss of instructional time, reinforce positive behaviors, and keep discipline off a student’s permanent record.
The Saturday School program will be used for missing Academic Overtime. The following discipline matrix will be used for students missing Academic Overtime. (Strikes = 1 Week)
- 1 Strike – Warning
- 2 Strike – After School Detention
- 3 Strike – Counselor/Student Meeting with Parent Contact
- 4 Strike – 1 Day SIP and Parent Contact
- 5 Strike – 1 Hour Lunch Detention for 1 Week and Parent Contact
- 6+ Strikes – Saturday School and Parent Contact/Meeting
The Saturday School program will be used for excessive sweeps. The following discipline matrix will be used for students who are late to school.
- 1-2 Sweeps = Warning & Parent Contact
- 3-5 Sweeps = Detention & Parent Contact
- 6-7 Sweeps = 1 Day SIP
- 8+ Sweeps = Saturday School