If this is a mental health emergency, please contact one of the following:
Maricopa County Crisis Response Line: 602-222-9444
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
AZ Teen Lifeline: 602-248-TEEN (8336)
School Social Work Services:
- Supports and advocates for the whole child’s educational, emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual wellbeing.
- Knowledge of family systems theory in school social work practice.
- Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to serving culturally diverse populations.
- Complies with legal mandates/laws and ethical standards that influence professional responsibilities, including but not limited to federal, state, county, and city statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances, and AFUHSD policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates professional knowledge and engages in ongoing professional development in accordance with the National Association of Social Work Standards and Code of Ethics.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents, and school issues.
- Advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings.
- Provide student crisis intervention.
- Co-lead TMT with a school psychologist and/or school counselor.
- Co-facilitate suicide prevention training for all staff groups.
- Part of the district-level mobile crisis team A/B.
- Consults regularly with school counselors and administration to provide recommendations as needed.
- Develop and implement coping skills and problem solving strategies.
- Provide one on one or group lessons related to executive functioning skills.
- Provide ongoing support for homeless and foster care students.
- Identify and support Mckinney-Vento students and connect them with available services (basic needs and school supplies).
- Provide community outreach across district boundaries.
- Coordinate immediate transportation with neighboring districts or private vendors.
- Coordinate Homeless Youth Connection meetings.
- Assess for mental health concerns and make appropriate referrals.
- Conduct home visits when appropriate.
- Provide case management for students and families requiring ongoing support through community resources and connections.
- Identify and report child abuse and neglect.
- Assist staff on mandating reporting protocols.
- Collaborate with Department of Child Services on best interest determination meetings.
- Collaborate with outside agencies such as behavioral health, probation, or private placements.