Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Each student and parent will need a FSA ID. (How-to video)
Gather the information needed to complete the FAFSA application.
Log in and complete the FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov). This determines your eligibility for federal grants, work-study, and loan programs.
The FAFSA is often used to determine state and institutional aid as well. Students should apply as soon as possible but also check with the schools they are applying to so they are sure to meet the school's deadline.
Once this is done, students should hear back from the US Department of Education in a couple of days. You will receive a SAR (Student Aid Report). Any necessary changes can be made on the FAFSA website.
You may be asked by one or more colleges to verify information submitted on the FAFSA. Simply complete the paperwork and send it back to the school(s) as soon as possible.
You will receive Award Letters from each college that received your FAFSA information and you have been admitted to. The letter will address the financial aid package you could receive by that school. The financial aid package may include grants, scholarships, work-study opportunities and loans to the student and to the parent(s).
There are many scholarship search sites out there if you are interested in looking for more scholarships. Remember, you should not pay any money for a search.
Check out the Resources listed on the right side of this page for how-to videos and more.
The Arizona Promise Program
A GUARANTEED COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP: The Arizona Promise Program opens the door of opportunity to students from low-income families. With a guaranteed scholarship for eligible students to cover Arizona public university tuition and fees, higher education will be more accessible and affordable for more Arizona students and their families.
- FAFSA Rap
- Overview of the Financial Aid Process
- 2021-22 FAFSA Worksheet. Get all your needed information on this worksheet before going online
- 2022-2023 FAFSA Tutorial videos through Maricopa Community Colleges
- Ask Benji chat help. Live experts can answer your text questions as you go along.
- Glendale Community College help. One-on-one FAFSA help and more.
- Complete FAFSA User Guide
- Other resources from AZ DOE
Financial Aid Resources
- College Funding Estimator
- Education Quest, Financial Aid videos
- Financial Aid
- Federal Student Aid website
- Cost of Attendance Worksheet
- Breaking Down Your Award Letter
- Award Letter Comparison Tool
- Parent Financial Aid help
- State of Arizona Financial Aid Programs
- Selective Service. Required for males 18+ to receive Federal Student Aid.